real pickles banner

real pickles banner

Monday, August 1, 2016

RAS Gravel Grinder - Peru, VT
6/25/16
 

Phil Brubaker and myself participated in the RAS Ride, a gravel grinder that was located in Peru, Vermont. RAS stands for Rasopathies, one of many rare genetic disorders. Shane, Jack Baily's son has Rasopathies and the ride is a fundraiser for the research of such disorders.

Having had a great time at the inaugural 2015 RAS ride I looked forward to this event for a year. Peru is picturesque Vermont, the home of Hapgood Pond (a beautiful spot which my family has camped at), and the memorable JJ Hapgood Store. The second running of this event drew more than twice the participants and had several storied riders including John Funk, Peter Vollers (THE New England gravel ambassador), a female cross heavy and Von Hoff team rider, Matt Boobar and others.

My buddy and Real Pickles / Hampshire Bicycle Exchange teammate Phil Brubaker travelled with me and rode the event with me. We were blessed with perfect weather and a feel good event with amazing terrain and a few extended sections of rugged class 4 roads and some single track.

Phil and I started out at a relaxed pace and slowly ratcheted up the pace. I made a few hard efforts on some of the more challenging climbs. Phil got stronger as the ride went and definitely left his comfort zone and we drove very hard on the 3 mile paved section immediately before the hardest climb of the day (more than 20%). The rider support was great with well stocked aid stations and the post race meal, provided by the JJ Hapgood Store was a delight.

IT was such a nice experience with such a nice group of riders. I had lots of back and forth's with several folks during the ride. It was a blast traveling and riding with Phil. I look forward to next years RAS ride!


No comments:

Post a Comment