real pickles banner

real pickles banner

Sunday, April 3, 2016

VOMAR 2016





Our morning started out with a few inches of freshly fallen snow on the ground in Brattleboro as we rolled off to Reading Vermont for the 2016 VOMAR. That had Bob, Tim and myself wondering what was going to be in  store for us, as I don't think any of us were quite prepared for riding the event in several inches of snow covering some already suspect mud season roads. The further North we traveled the less snow there was  on the ground. We were all relieved when we  hit exit 6 on I-91. It was  clear that we would not be navigating the 2016 course on any snowpack. We rolled into the parking lot and everyone started into their pre-ride check up. In true grassroots racing form I ran into some familiar faces as soon as I got out of the car.  Tyler and Rachael Cohen made the trip down from Jericho for the event. I've known Tyler since he was a kid, and have been racing against him for a few years.


We managed to get our registrations in order followed by a quick trip to the porto and then back to the car for our final preflight planning. Bob, Tim and I rolled to the start finish area and checked in with our other RealPickles racer Phil B. who had made the trip North with John Bliss. The starting area at these events is always  like a family reunion.  Two hundred plus riders rolled out promptly at 10am.  We headed North and faced one short climb followed by two longer climbs in the first five miles. These climbs started to stretch out the peloton as the stronger riders began to match each other and leave those less prepared riders faced with the first paroxysm of suffering on this 20F morning. I started surveying the team.  Tim was up front climbing effortlessly, Bob was next to me as well an old West Hill racer Chris Northcott. As we climbed we were both lamenting a team time trial that we did together back in the late 90's out of the West Hill Shop. It sure is nice riding with friends.  


The crest of our 3rd climb was at about mile five, which was also the first section of pave'. The jeep track was a twisty rolling descent littered with fragmented rocks. I let go of the brakes and rolled forward picking up speed, as I exited the rocky section, I noticed my rear wheel feeling soft. I dismounted and began change a flat. Tim rolled up followed by Bob. As I swapped tubes, we were trying to sort out where Phil was in mix.  Nobody had seen him for a mile or two.  Riders started to roll by en masse' asking if I had everything that I needed. No sooner than I ask a rider if they have a floor pump a vehicle pulls up and ultimately informs me that the floor pump is in the vehicle behind him. Cool! Here comes Phil, cool! 

Phil, Bob, and John Bliss roll on. Tim and I agree that we should just try to catch them as soon as possible. With floor bump in hand I easily get my tire inflated to adequate pressure. We roll. There is about a four minute gap that Tim and I will need to make up.  As we descend for nearly five miles, enjoying views of Ascutney off to the Southwest  I realize that we may not see these guys until the sugar shack.  We start to climb again and we encounter the second Pave' section which includes some unrideable portions. The track is just wet, and muddy. No real way to get purchase with the rear tire no matter how many watts we put out. This section include a tricky little descent back to the road.  We cross the street and now I’m thinking  We just might catch Phil and Bob. So fuck it, I hop on Tim's wheel and we push a moderate pace up this fairly unpretentious climb that maintains a reasonable grade for nearly four miles.  As we approach our next turn we pass the shell of a brick foundation that was recently consumed by a fire. Bob would later note the burned out toy metal car on the tree stump.

At about mile 18 Tim and I roll into the Sugar House Feed Zone.  We find Phil eating yogurt and Bob enjoying  the brief respite. Although the Sun is now high in the sky and it provides a nice sensation of warming while riding, standing still it still feels like 30F out. We enjoy some PB and Bacon sandwiches, Tim grabs some hot tea, we regroup and rollout continuing this climb, the roads are now turning a bit sticky. We continue climbing past the Newhall farm. We hit a descent with another section of Pave'. Regrouping at the end of the pave' Phil, Bob and I forge on for the final few miles. Tim meanwhile pushes on. We make a brief stop for Bob so he can adjust his saddle and then it's off to the finish. We descend down a windy road as the flurries intensify.  I punch it and Phil gets on my wheel, we big ring it into the finish area where Tim is looking for his glasses that he misplaced for before the start. 

Strava told me I rode 26.8 miles in 2:26 and climbed nearly 4,000 feet. We rolled out of Reading and it was puking snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment