real pickles banner

real pickles banner

Friday, April 22, 2016





 Rasputitsa 2016
This group was enormous! Mass start with 670 riders!!

Looking for Dean, who had to pee.
 
Part 2, Tim's experience.
There were several familiar faces from both the Brattleboro area and from greater New England. The riders from West Hill Shop had excellent representation and showed very well. In particular, Kate Northcutt finished second amongst women.
 
 
The virtual sea of riders (670) easily eclipsed the 500 of 2015. As the group moved out under neutral support behind a Vermont Overland 4 x 4 vehicle I found it difficult to make my way forward to where Dean and others were. As we began climbing I was able to make quick progress through the field and avoid the first crash of the day, a mere half mile into the ride. I knew that today would be a difficult and arduous day that would require patience and economy. My fitness was good for this time of year so I really wanted to see what I was capable of.
 
 
Groups of 8 or more riders is where I spent the majority of my time though was with as few as three at times. I worked hard but not too hard in countless pacelines, knowing that this would increase my mph and better my finish place and time. I approached the KOM/QOM hill with calm reserve, knowing that it was going to be an extended and challenging climb. I rode it smart, maintaining a steady but hard pace. I was able to pick off several riders. The groups all but shattered leaving a group of 4 or 5 riders a few hundred yards ahead intact. I later concluded that this group likely contained Noah Elbers, a strong rider from Alstead, NH. Riding from here to Ciberia was a roller coaster abrupt hills which did nothing to promote the reformation of groups. Subtle cramping had started and I knew that I would need to hydrate, eat and ride smart. I was surprised that I was out descending almost everyone around me, a likely product of many miles of winter gravel riding in Vermont this year. There were several single rider crashes that I road upon, most of these occurred in muddy corners at the base of descents.
Me ripping a muddy section.
 
Once in Ciberia I found myself sitting on the wheel of a rider on a single speed ti mountain bike. He has very steady and set a pace that was manageable. I passed him at the top amid the fanfare of cheering folks dressed as Yeti's, Donkeys, and Unicorns, handing out treats and shots of maple syrup in ice shot glasses. I was able to pass a handful of riders on Ciberia's descent and entered the dirt road descent feeling pretty good.

John Buser and I warming up.

The long initial descent following Ciberia was great. I was alone and flying. I passed a few riders and felt even more rejuvenated. I knew there was still several miles of rolling dirt roads until the finish and needed to maintain a fast but manageable pace. I experienced more cramping and was feeling stiff when climbing while standing. The mental race was in full swing. I was losing my momentum and riders were slowly overtaking me. I think I probably lost 5 or 6 spots on the road.

I finally saw the 90 degree left turn which meant 5k to go (I think). It felt within reach. Still I suffered, trying to keep my pace up but becoming increasingly uncomfortable. I lost a few more spots in this stretch. Alas, I approached the final class 4 descent - a steep and rutty section which required caution. I flew down it and turned left approaching the Kingdom Trails parking area which contained the finishing shute. There was no one in sight before or after me. I had survived Rasputitsa!
Dean in the finishing Shute!

I had finished 111th overall with a time of 2:36:18, Dean rolled in some time later taking about a half hour off of his 2015 time! John Buser rolled in some time after that just happy to have finished (John learned earlier in the week that his red blood cell count was very low, a product of a genetic disorder which spell fatigue. I am ready to register for 2017! Next week I ride the Muddy Onion without any Pickles team mates. It will be huge as a record 300+ riders have pre-registered!

No comments:

Post a Comment